Carbon monoxide gas is odorless, tasteless, colorless, and lacks any irritant to alert you of its presence, which is why it can make you extremely sick or even become deadly. It is the leading cause of fatal poisonings in the United States and can be caused by faulty appliances, kerosene heaters, gas powered space heaters and other sources. Symptoms include headache, dizziness, upset stomach, weakness, vomiting, (general flu-like symptoms,) and confusion. It can cause you to pass out which sometimes leads to death if not discovered in time. The gas is produced by any source that burns fuel.
If carbon monoxide poisoning has made you sick or taken a loved one, there are steps you can take to help with medical or funeral expenses. You must engage an attorney who has expertise in these types of cases, has dealt with them and had favorable outcomes. They will investigate and work with experts in the fields of heating and gas systems, faulty appliances, degraded or defective parts and improper maintenance, to properly assess who may be at fault. They will look for the party responsible for your exposure to the gas and identify the liable person: property owner, product manufacturer, faulty carbon monoxide detector or any other possible source.
Once determined, you can depend on your attorney to go after the settlement you need to cover the expenses you have incurred. This may include the cost of finding a newer, safer place to live and moving expenses. Medical care you needed to receive and future medical costs your sickness may have incurred will be included. Lost wages and future financial loss estimations, any physical impairments, and loss of quality of life will be considered. In the event of loss of a loved one; the end of companionship, loss of income and funeral costs will all be a deciding factor in your settlement.