The Law Offices of Christopher L. Jackson
"Always a Free Call and No Fee Unless You Win"
Kentucky: 859-261-1111 Ohio: 513-861-8000 Toll Free: 888-811-3247
Areas & Topics

I Was Hurt on Public Property

A slip and fall accident can occur when hazards are not removed or secured by a property owner. Whether you are injured on government or private property, there is a process that you will have to go through in order to claim compensation. If you have been a victim of an accident on public property you should contact a personal injury attorney for advice.

Claiming Compensation

When you injure yourself on public property that is maintained and owned by a government entity, you are entitled to file a claim for compensation. You will need to hire a personal injury lawyer to act on your behalf. You will have to prove that you were on the property during the time that the area is accessible to public, and that the accident did not occur as a result of your own negligence.

The Type of Government

There will be a specific level of government that you will have to deal with. This will depend on the location of your accident. If you were injured in a park, you will file your claim against the state, city or federal government depending on which entity operates and owns the park. If the injury occurred on the sidewalk, this is generally handled at the county or city level. If you were injured on a road, the county, state or city will be responsible. A personal injury lawyer in Kentucky will determine who which level of government to file your claim against.

Filing Requirements

There is a statute of limitation against filing a personal injury claim. Each state has their own rules and regulations you should check with a Northern Kentucky personal injury lawyer for time frames in your state.

Securing Evidence

Before you can file a claim against the government, you must have sufficient evidence. The proof required will need to be glaringly obvious. You can present the evidence in the form of video surveillance, pictures, or eye witness testimony. A Kentucky premises liability attorney will assist you in compiling the necessary evidence.

Possible Complications

Filing a slip and fall claim in general is difficult; however, this process becomes even more difficult when the claim is against the government. The government is protected against lawsuits but there are exceptions to this. These include physical defects on or within the building or grounds owned by the government.

If your injury is related to a deficiency on government property, you can hold them liable for your injuries. To ensure that you get the compensation that you deserve, you should contact a as soon as the accident occurs.

Final Thoughtpublic-park-300x200.jpg

Contact a personal injury lawyer in Covington who is efficient in filing liability claims against the government to assess your situation. They will be able to assist you in getting the compensation that you deserve for the injuries that you have sustained. You can locate the information for a personal injury attorney online, or in a local directory.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


The Law Offices of Christopher Jackson
121 East 4th Street
Covington, KY 41011

Toll Free: 888-811-3247
Phone: 513-861-8000
Phone: 859-261-1111
Fax: 859-261-0888
Covington Law Office Map